Re: Registrations

In a message dated 10/21/99 9:26:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
chick@bridgewoodgardens.com writes:

<< This is not a
 criticism of the Journal, I realize there are practical limitations, but
 another indication of how useful the web could be if the AHS would take
 of it. >>

Actually this is not the fault of the AHS either.  The International Code of
Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants as amended in 1995 does not recognize the
web as a means of "publication" for the purpose of introduction of new
registrations.  This Code is passed by UNESCO a subcommittee of the U.N. from
which the registration authority for all genus derives.  The Code is then
what the respective International Registration Authorities are required to
use in registering plants within the genus for which they have authority.

In the future I too hope they amend the code to accept the web as a means of
publication.  Until then it is not the AHS's fault, nor any other plant
International Registration Authority.  If you want I will bring a copy of the
code to Hosta In Focus for you to look at.