Re: Lawn Fertilizers and Milorganite

In a message dated 09/26/2000 5:04:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
doublemom@ivillage.com writes:

<< Paul - can you give more information on this study... specifically, where
can I get a copy of it to read?  I've been gardening organically in my
back-yard garden for years, and I have a hard time believing that it's more
destructive than loading my soil up with synthetic chemicals, herbicides and
pesticides.

 Thanks,
 Andi >>

I do not have a copy-it was in our paper- I would not worry about your
organic back yard garden.

Minimal use is always best around the yard and I would encourage you keep up
with your organic way of life if that is what you enjoy doing you are doing
the environment much good as apposed to a lawn of just grass or concrete
asphalt
.

The article dealt with organic farming on a production scale.

One factor that I think is sometimes over looked is that one has to look at
yields verse resources needed to produce those yields.

Since organic farms have yields 3-20 times less than the chemical intensive
farms, we are looking at out put per bushel instead of out per square mile of
land.

I would never try to implicate organic growing as destructive-just that
things are never as cut and dry as people want to make them.

The highest yields of food per parcel of land with the least amount of
environmental degradation is high intensity chemical fertilizer monoculture
row crops.

Of course this type of farming will not work in all parts of the world, and
sustainable forms of farming are much needed in many parts of the world if
they are to produce their own food.

At this time in world history there is a world wide over production of food
and I would also say an over consumption of food in many parts of the
developed countries.

In the last 50-100 years remarkable advances have been made in food
production.

Paul