Re: What makes the difference?

All the answers you are getting would be valid if we were looking at the
same kind of plants from different sources, but if I understand what you
are saying, I think the answer is much simpler.  The small hostas you
received were juvenile plants, probably right out of tc, and like
seedlings, puppies, and children, they always grow quickly, assuming there
is nothing wrong with them.  Older plants simply don't do that.  They go
through a cycle of growth each year, first putting on leaves, then roots,
then going through the reproductive cycle.  Sometimes, depending on the
variety and the length of the growing season where you live, they may grow
a second flush of leaves after flowering and some even flower again.

Even though they grow very fast when they are young, it can take years for
them to catch up with mature plants, especially in the larger varieties.
If you compare a tc liner of Sagae to a division from a plant that is
several years old, it will probably be 3 or 4 years before the liner shows
the character of the older plant.  If you've only seen younger plants at a
garden center and have never seen a mature specimen, you might not
understand why Sagae is so popular because the juvenile leaves aren't all
that interesting.

We try to pack our plants well because we know that customers would prefer
them to arrive looking nice rather than all beat up, but frankly I
disagree with Joe.  I'd rather have the big, beat up plant than the small
pretty one.