RE: What makes the difference?

  • Subject: RE: What makes the difference?
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 08:59:36 -0700 (PDT)

>I received 2 orders from the same place.  Both times, plants were
>young, and a little abused looking. <snip> their prices were cheap,
>and once the plants were put into the ground, they took off like
>rockets, doubling in size.

There are basically two types of gardeners - the first group wants
large plants that make as much impact as possible right away while the
second group is more price conscience and is willing to wait a bit
longer before the plant matures.  In either case you can get good
quality or bad quality.  Some growers growers go after one or the
other and others try to make a balance.  Some companies like the
defunct Michigan Bulb Company specialized in buying the lowest grade
plants possible and selling them off cheaply.  However, even the price
conscience gardeners want a quality plant even if they are willing to
accept smaller size.

In regard to hostas the value should be in what you paid for the plant
for the size you got and its quality.  Hostas are quite tough, so even
if they don't look so hot when you get them they will usually do well
after awhile.  It's more how the plants are shipped that are going to
efect the quality you receive then the size.  I would much prefer a
smaller plant packaged and shipped well then a larger plant just
thrown into a box with all the roots cut off.  I haven't received many
hostas that were shipped to me, but I've seen quite a few of the
hostas that Charlie Purtymun has received and I can say that there are
some hosta growers out there who really should take a short course on
how to ship plants.

Joe Halinar