Boundry Dynamics in tree planting.

  • Subject: Boundry Dynamics in tree planting.
  • From: "Dan Nelson" <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:38:24 -0400

You mentioned amending planting holes for trees a being as bad thing and I agree. Trees are my livelihood and most of what I read is heavily biased towards arboriculture. Today amending tree planting holes is not recommended. The tree planting hole should also not be any deeper that the tree was planted at the nursery or container it was grown in. The hole for the tree should be many times the width of the root ball to be planted and the reasoning is that this soil may need to be loosened and the most important tree roots are going to grow within the first 12 inches of the surface. It is important that these new tree roots not hit compacted soil.
In an amended tree planting hole tree roots tend to stay in this enriched soil area. This amended area acts much like a container and even though the tree may do well the first season or two...long term this can cause serious problems for the tree.
Today it is recommended that the same soil that came out of the tree planting hole be used for the backfill when planting the tree. Organic amendments like compost and mulch should be used on the surface and the mulched area should be as large as possible. Mulch also should not be piled up around the tree trunk because it causes decay problems of the bark and cambium of the tree.
Amended tree planting holes also have been shown to cause drainage problems. Water does not drain as expected due to the different soil types and again the hole acts like a large container and root rots are a common problem.
As Joe suggested.....tree roots that are circling the root ball need to be straightened out....or pruned. If they are not they most likely will continue their poor pattern of growth and cause future problems.
Amended planting holes are bad for trees....I'm sure some of the same problems caused in trees.....can cause problems with hostas too.