RE: soil mixing

  • Subject: RE: soil mixing
  • From: "Helen" <msbucky@home.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:52:57 -0400

Chick, I don't pretend to know the answer here. Once thing I've noted over
the years though, is the importance of having a loose soil. I find the most
important thing though, is when I'm ready to plant a potted subject, I never
NEVER just pop it out of the pot and into a hole. Anytime I;ve done that, I
could dig it up months later and the root ball is exactly the same as when
it was planted - no growth and the plant is stunted. I always do a number on
the roots. If I don;t pull them apart, I'll cut them. Literally. Take a
knife and slice off the bottom half inch or so and even make cuts in the
sides and rough them up well. The ones that get the rough treatment put out
nice fresh healthy roots and grow.

The reason why cuttings sometimes do better than previously rooted plants
may simply be the fact that the original root system was inferior, and never
got the necessary jolt to get it going again?

Helen