Re: soil mixing

I don't claim to be a soil expert either.  That's why I say it sounds good in
theory, but in 25 years of growing plants commercially, I just don't see that it
is a problem in the real world.

My objection to this theory of roots that only grow in the soil they came in is
that it ignores the 99% of the cases that it's simply not true.  We get a plant
and it doesn't do well and we look for a reason and, lo and behold, it has roots
that are only good for growing in bark so that must be why it didn't grow in my
clay soil.  Seems to me that in looking for a simple answer, we are ignoring the
fact that plants go from pots to gardens a million times a day without having
any problem, and you very seldom see nursery stock that is grown in anything
resembling garden soil.  I suspect that in the few cases where the plants don't
do well, the fault is more likely the poor soil that they are going into, not
where they came from, or maybe it has nothing to do with the soil at all.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Chick