Re: soil mixing

  • Subject: Re: soil mixing
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 13:25:26 -0400

Hi Chick,
           I think the answer to your question has to do with the type of
plant we're talking about. What Joe and Dan said about trees and shrubs
applies because they keep the same roots from year to year. Because of this
the planting hole is very important. These roots must move into the
surrounding soil or the plants will face serious problems within a few
years. Many perennials, including hostas, grow new roots every year so the
roots they had in the pot will be replaced by new ones adapted to their new
soil. If you plant a hosta early in the season, then dig it up later, you
will see plenty of new roots. According to Bob Solberg in his recent article
in the DelMarVa Hosta Society newsletter, hostas grow the new season's roots
only after the new leaves are completely filled out. Because of this he
recommends transplanting hostas already growing in the ground in late
summer, rather than early spring.

..........Bill Meyer