Mary Chastain et al

  • Subject: Mary Chastain et al
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 07:33:15 -0500

Hi Guys:

 I have had a couple of days out of the garden and have been buried in my
notes and maps. I had a guy go through the garden with Nemacure and wanted
to keep the dog and myself at a distance. For a variety of reasons dealing
with quality, variety, and sheer number of plants,I think that Mary
Chastain is our best practicing hybridizer. By saying best I do not want to
disparage any number of great hostas coming on line by others, but her
collective work is really outstanding. It seems to me that she now has a
number of classic hostas (you can name your own) that will be staying
around a long time. Mary's work is really hybridizing, and not simply
finding sports.

These days I also am a fan of the hostas of Roy Herold, Bob Solberg, Kevin
Walek, Jim Wilkins....and a few  others, all of whom IMHO have  given us
some classsic plants.I am convinced that "knowing" what you like yourself,
is more important than trying to guess what will sell. My thanks to all
these people, and especially to Mary for doing such good work for such a
long time.How about writing a book Mary.

"Depression is just the anger without enthusiasm." Steve Wright
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839