Hosta diseases and insects--Photos available?

  • Subject: Hosta diseases and insects--Photos available?
  • From: "Greg Smith" forshade@prairienet.org
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:33:02 -0700

As a hostaphile, I drool over the pictures that entice me to buy “just one more”.

As an arborist, I have recommended Hosta, Daylilies, and Peonies as indestructible plants to plant as beneficial alternatives to sterile grass adjacent to and underlying trees.  Am sad to hear about Daylily rust and Hosta fungal leaf disease and foliar nematodes.  For those of you in HZ5, have you been experiencing problems described in this University of Illinois article, Hosta Diseases Starting?

Can pictures of foliar nematode, anthracnose, and sclerotium blight, or other disease/insect problems be posted to the blossoming photo site?  Or, can anyone provide a link to such photos?

Thank you for your time,

Greg Smith

ISA Certified Arborist #IL0020

Why hire an arborist?  So she can tell you to plant hosta and mulch to improve the health and beauty of your tree.