Loser's Lane/Difficult Dozen/Most Difficult list

  • Subject: Loser's Lane/Difficult Dozen/Most Difficult list
  • From: "Hank Zumach" zumach@execpc.com
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 20:08:18 -0500

Hi All--About 2 weeks ago I started an admittedly unscientific poll of the members of Hostapix, Hosta-Open, Phoenix, and Hallson Gardens Forums, asking that people name their LEAST favorite hosta varieties.  Bob Axmear has agreed to put the results on the Hosta Library.   OK, OK, So "Loser's Lane" may have not been the most diplomatic name choice for  the new listing at the Library.  Maybe "Difficult Dozen" would be a more tactful choice (the fact that the list has 15 entries is a mere technicality).  Simply calling it "Difficult to Grow" might be the most acceptable.  I'll leave that up to Bob Axmear when he adds the list to the Library.
The basic idea was to compile a list of plants that are problematic for many gardeners so that newer hostaphiles can avoid them.  I don't claim that the list is without flaws but it is probably a pretty good starting point.   I can imagine modifying/adding to the list as time goes by.  I will admit that the "rules" for inclusion on the list could be called "arbitrary".  I prefer the word "informal".  61 people named a total of 81 varieties.  I simply tallied up the votes and decided that those varieties that got at least 4 votes would be included.  Here is the way the voting went:
 1.  Lunar Eclipse  10 votes
 2.  Brim Cup  8
 3. Fire & Ice  7
 4. Cherry Berry  7
 5. Great Expectations  6
 6. White Christmas 6
 7. Color Glory  6
 8. Flame Stitch  5
 9. Super Nova  5
10. Knockout  4
11. Patriot  4
12. Tattoo  4
13. Frances Williams  4
14. Sea Thunder  4
15.  White Centered Varieties by general acclimation.
I included the last category because there were a number of white centered varieties that were mentioned but  did not get enough votes to make the list.
Hank Zumach
Stoddard, WI