Re: slug control

I have used Borax & water for sucking insects on houseplants, and have used a mix of Karo syrup & Borax for carpenter ants. It is a dessicant, i.e. when ingested, it dries out insects from the inside. I am wary of using other methods with my pets, and feel it is quite safe.

I would not suggest watering around the plants, but spraying the leaves where the slugs eat instead. They will die off and not breed.

Diane Frederick
Cleveland, OH, zone 5

ctuttle39@juno.com wrote:

Have you heard of this one?  In the latest issue of The English Garden,
it is stated that using Borax (NOT boric acid) can be an effective slug
control.

"They" recommend: 60 grams Borax dissolved in nine liters of water (in
our terms: 2 tablespoons of borax in two gallons of water).  Water
liberally around the Hosta twice yearly - once in the spring when the
plants are emerging and again in June when the foliage is in its prime.

Apparently this acts similarly to salt in that it damages the mucus
membranes of the slug.  The article continues to say that unlike salt,
Borax will not burn plant roots - and in diluted form will not harm
humans or animals.  They say that this treatment is approved for
"organic" gardening.  Do not pour on lettuce or anything you will consume
- wash fruits and vegies thoroughly before eating.

Charles Tuttle
Columbus  OH