Re: slug control

ctuttle39@juno.com wrote:

> I have not used this method, but I personally would be game for trying
> it, especially if they are that active.  Do let us know how effective you
> have found it to be.

Hi all,

I just recently heard that this is a good time to "do" something about slugs
because they are starting to lay their eggs for next season. I'm a rookie
gardener who has never used pesticides, so I can't give any expert advice,
but if this is egg laying season, I'd give it a try.

I see Diane suggests to not use it on the soil, so on the chance that the egg
laying has already started (I assume the eggs are in the soil - I told you I
was a rookie!) you could try the ammonia recipe for the soil.

1 gallon water
1 cup ammonia
a few drops dish soap

Spray the foliage and saturate around the crowns. When the slugs are bad
treat once a week. When things aren't too bad, then about once every two
weeks. I've heard this is also a good fertilizer.

Karen

P.S. I've heard Borax is also a good control for the dreaded roach.