Re: Foliar nematodes questions

  • Subject: Re: Foliar nematodes questions
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:05:27 -0400

Hi Everyone,
      I've been reading up on nematode controls to see what's new this year,
and I noticed that they often refer to planting nematode-resistant
varieties. Since this seems to be a terrible year for foliar nematodes in
the hosta world, at least here in the Northeast, I was wondering if there
really is such a thing as nematode-resistant hostas. There could be, I
guess.
      If everyone who has nematodes in their gardens (and that does include
me) can go have a look, I'm wondering if there are hostas which are
surrounded by infested plants but don't seem to show any signs of nematode
damage themselves. Also, I'm wondering which hostas show the most nematode
damage. Let's get together a list of both to help the scientists who study
the damn things out a little. It might help them in their research to find a
way to stop these things from being such a spreading and continuing problem.
       Because they are such a problem now in the nursery trade, we can
expect more research to find a solution to the problem. If we're lucky, they
might well come up with something that can be used in home gardens legally
and safely.

...........Bill Meyer