Eureka

I purchased the Eureka  Hosta Guide ($25.00) a couple of months ago. It's a
hybrid book with a certain kind of appeal, but the information contained in
it is general and well worn. The hosta "book" also includes the Eureka Iris
book (upisde down in the last half) , which I admit I found more
interesting because I don't know a thing about iris. Many of the photos are
very good...even exceptional. I am left with the feeling that the book is
unsure of its identity and purpose right now. Maybe that will change.  In
respect to the photos I did learn something that to me seems very valuable.
I found that the most effective photos were ones which included sections of
two and even three different hostas. The focus and detail were such that
the combination photos were excellent vehicles for really "seeing" a hosta.
The mutiple context immediately gave you a picutre of the plant, but a
COMPARATIVE picture. Most of the time all of the hostas were identified . I
have a bias here. The indivdual shot of a hosta as a glorious mound "unto
itself" does not appeal to me.I am sold on comparison photos. It is how
most of us see hostas and it gives you a chance to compare the central
hostas to others around it. The leaf comparison  and overlap really help to
establish the identity of a "new" hosta for me in terms of color, pattern
and leaf size. Although you may loose the overall sense of the clump with
this method, a contexual picture is a great teaching tool for many of us.
Right now I am looking out of my window at  H. 'Cat's Eye'  which is
nestled in a sea of sour grass  and clover. The compoarison is quite
remarkable...although seeing it in the context of other HOSTAS might have
been better.

Chowrie: noun, a fly-swatter fashioned from a Yak's tail
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156