hosta in a bog garden

  • Subject: hosta in a bog garden
  • From: Ray Wiegand <wie1086@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 21:09:42 -0400

Does anyone on the list have experience with Hosta in a bog garden? I
just put in a water feature (2 ponds, waterfall, a stream and a bog) and
put a Fragrant Bouquet in the bog. Hosta are not the reason I put in the
bog, but I want to experiment. I am sure they will grow, but will they
survive a zone 5-6 winter? The books are listing hosta, but that may be
for stremside and not bog. I recall somebody talking about this topic a
couple of years ago. If my memory is correct, this person was growing
hosta with white more successfully than in the ground.

I would appreciate any input on plant selection for a bog. I have my
ideas ---I like taro (colacasia or elephant ear--one plant many names)
and goats beard. Taro needs to be dug up in the fall, so it may be
better in the pond itself.

thanks in advance,

Ray Wiegand
Mentor on the Lake, Ohio