Re: splashed ventricosa, will it produce variegated seedlings?

  • Subject: Re: splashed ventricosa, will it produce variegated seedlings?
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:26:03 -0400

I have had a streaked ventricosa for 5 years now. This year was the first
year I got a bloom scape. All of the leaves have remained well streaked and
the new flushes of leaves arrive with highly contrasting streaks. I decided
to take it to First Look this year seeking fame and fortune.Since I had not
read the instructions very carefully I cut of the flower scape. I placed it
in a a jar of sugar water on the window sill. There, I selfed it as much as
I could. The pods formed and then aborted after about 7 days. I used other
pollen, but the results were the same.  Nothing remained. I used it as a
pollen parent and those crosses apparently took, although I used plants
outside and perhaps was not as careful as I should have been in keeping the
hungry bees away. I have followed this thread with a good deal of interest.
I find this NON-SPORT of ventricosa (which I learned from Bill M.) an
attractive plant and shared it this summer for the first time. The streaks
are pronounced (much more than those of Chirifu) and apparently just as
stable (famous last words).

George S. refered to his H. 'Gosan Line Up' in one of his last e-mails.
Since seeing the picture of this plant I have wondered about its pedigree.
Anybody?

Every word was once a poem. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher
(1803-1882)

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont