RE: Fall planting

  • Subject: RE: Fall planting
  • From: "Pinterics, Michael W \(GE Healthcare\)" <Michael.Pinterics@med.ge.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:55:14 -0500

I'll chime in quickly, as I'm hearing chimes in the background.... My
only concern would be heaving due to a frozen hole with a soft medium
in it holding the hosta.  yes we should know better than to simply drop
the pot in the hole but... as we dig that $100 hole to hold the hosta
we still have the hosta sitting in a softer medium than the ground
around the hole.   Since the hosta has no time to laydown roots... you
run the risk of heave.   Up Nort' here, it's becoming a bigger problem
as our winters are less stable in the more moderate states with a
constant freeze thaw pattern it might become more of an issue.  Not
sure, never lived in a moderate climate.

Mike
Milwaukee