hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: Fall planting

  • Subject: Re: Fall planting
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:18:25 -0700 (PDT)

It makes no difference when you plant the problem is
freezing and thawing of the crowns. Mulch will take
care of that problem where ever you are. Hosta are
probably hardy to zone 2, zone 3 for sure. Cold is NOT
the problem its freezing and thawing. If a plant
heaves then the roots will freeze dry but again mulch
fixes that.

I don't reccomend leaving plants in pots for the hobby
gardner because usually don't control the moisture
that accumulates on top of the pot which again leads
to the freeze\thaw problem. Storing in a unheated
greenhouse keeps the moisture out of the pot and the
only question is cold which is not a problem. 

Planting is exactly the same as healing in with some
form of insulating material ever if that is dirt.

One point is as long as there are green leaves then
the plant is storing something for next year and next
years plant is in the roots.

So take a pickaxe and gouge out a hole in your frozen
ground, stick the plant in and mulch. I know that
someone will take a plant they don't care about and
try to prove me wrong.

--- Chick <chick@bridgewoodgardens.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I agree with you about root growth
> until the ground 
> freezes.  I used to think the same, in fact I once
> had that on my 
> culture page on the web site, but I tend to think
> that's not true now.  
> I don't know where you live, but here, the month
> between fall color and 
> ground freeze is mostly November, and I don't think
> the plants do much 
> of anything in November here.  Everything I've read
> says they don't do 
> anything when dormant, so any growth they put on in
> November is, I 
> think, not signfiicant.  I could be wrong, I've
> never really looked that 
> close.
> But, while I don't have any arguments with Bill's
> discourse, as usual, 
> I'm not sure he read my question before he so
> thoroughly answered it.  
> Or maybe my question was confusing.
> I'm not talking about how plants grow in the fall. 
> My question is - is 
> there any reason you can't put hostas in the ground
> late in the season?  
> I don't mean should you leave them in a pot or put
> them in the ground.  
> My customers are asking how late can they order?  Is
> there any real 
> reason you can't plant, if you want to, up until the
> ground freezes?  I 
> mentioned pots only because our plants are wintered
> over above ground in 
> unheated houses.  It seems to me that that
> environment is much harsher 
> than being planted in the ground, whether or not the
> plants have time to 
> root into the soil.   In the pot, the roots, at
> least in some of the 
> plants, are protected from the cold only by the wall
> of the pot, and yet 
> they survive just fine. With 50 to 100 thousand
> pots, in most years our 
> losses are virtually nil.  So why does the hosta
> have to establish into 
> its new location?
> My thinking is - here's a hosta in a pot that's
> going to survive the 
> winter just fine if it freezes solid tomorrow.  Now
> if I take it out of 
> the pot and put it in the ground,  and the ground
> freezes tomorrow, from 
> the plant's perspective, what's the difference?  Why
> does it need to 
> have time to root into the ground.  As long as the
> ground is reasonably 
> well drained, haven't we just put it into a
> different container?  I 
> guess what I'm asking is, when we go from the pot to
> the ground, what 
> have we changed that will lessen the plant's chance
> of survival if we do 
> it later than we commonly recommend?  I'm not saying
> that we should 
> plant in December, I'm just asking why not?
> Heaving is a valid point.  We don't have much of a
> problem with it here, 
> but I can see that it might cause trouble.  I
> suspect that mulching 
> would solve that problem in most areas.
> By the way,  I just got my copy of the new hosta
> book by 
> Grenfell/Shadrack, and highly recommend it to
> everyone.  Amazon and 
> probably others have it for about $35.  Great
> pictures and narrative.  I 
> want to ask Mike something and have lost his email. 
> Can someone send it 
> to me?
> Chick
> Len Phillips wrote:
> >I would like to take Bill's comments one step
> further.  I have always
> >advocated for fall division and planting of hostas.
>  However, the work
> >must be completed to coincide with the peak of fall
> tree color.  This
> >leaves one month for the roots of this divided or
> planted hosta to become
> >established.  
> >
> >As everyone knows, in the spring the plant's
> energies are focused on leaf
> >and plant growth.  In the summer the leaves and
> roots work together to
> >store food and energy the plant needs for survival.
>  In the fall, the leaf
> >function starts to decline while the root function
> picks up.  The plant
> >seems to know that it must develop new roots to
> have the necessary
> >nutrient resources available for the spring growth
> surge.
> >
> >You can see this if you are dividing your plants. 
> In the spring, new eyes
> >have very few, if any roots on them.  As the summer
> progress, the roots on
> >these new plants increase in size and number. 
> Divisions in the fall allow
> >for almost a maximum number of roots on each new
> plant.  The roots
> >continue growing right up until the ground is
> frozen.  (This usually
> >occurs about one month after the fall colors peak.)
>  As Bill indicated,
> >water and lots of it, as well as similar soils and
> sunlight, minimize the
> >stress that the hosta will experience during fall
> transplanting and division.
> >
> >To sign-off this list, send email to
> majordomo@hort.net with the
> To sign-off this list, send email to
> majordomo@hort.net with the
New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - Send 10MB messages!

To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index