Re: Fall planting

  • Subject: Re: Fall planting
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:19:56 -0400

Hi All,
Keeping hostas overwintered in pots in the South: We use light mixes that
drain very well to avoid crown rot. We have very cold periods from time to
time and heavy soils in pots will freeze solid and form a non-draining ice
plug in the pot. Warm temps will usually melt the ice in the top part of the
pot and create instant swamp because the bottom part is still frozen. A
superior recipe for crown rot. George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL