Re: watering hosta gardens with irrigation system?

  • Subject: Re: watering hosta gardens with irrigation system?
  • From: "R.A. Smith" rasmith6@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:28:17 -0700 (PDT)

  We have a system as well and it waters most of our hosta beds.  The installers did set each zone for 10 or 15 minutes just as you state below.  A couple other factor they used it determining this setting was the overall water pressure (flow rate), number of sprinkler heads on each zone (they don't all run at the same time), the type of spray, the foliage type, your latitude, and the soil type.  The controller seemed pretty complicated at first but have it pretty much figured out now (except the auto-adjust part that adjusts the settings based on the weather stations readings).  On our system, the controller also allows you to set % increases for certain months to help overcome heat/dry spells but I haven't used that function (yet).  Since we have fairly high pressure and several small zones set up, the original setting are working for most areas (but not all).  The 3-days-a-week program has also worked well for this mid-Atlantic area (and we had a 1.5 month dry spell).  I
 used to water each evening after work and still couldn't keep all the plants happy, this is a pretty good solution in my book.
  hope this helps
  Roger in Maryland
  Zone 7a

cbctplant <cbctplant@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
I know Warren Pollock has an irrigation system, I'll forward your question
to him for your neighbor. I know he adjusted things after living with it for
a couple of summers now.
Carol in CT