RE: watering hosta gardens with irrigation system?

  • Subject: RE: watering hosta gardens with irrigation system?
  • From: "Richard Jolly" pineforest1@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:53:44 -0400

Hey everybody, Just my 2 cents worth. I had a new irrigation system installed this spring. (24 zones total) What I have found out with irrigation people is that most don't have a grasp on watering times. My installer, which is a large company in our area, set all zones at 20 minutes. He didn't take into account soil types, whether it was sun or shade beds or lawn. He also set all zones to run every other day. I actually had to rewire my controller because the arangement of zones made no sense whatsoever. I had to regroup all lawn zones, shade beds and sun beds so all could be watered properly. A drip zone with emiters putting out 1 gallon per hour would certainly have to run longer than a spray head putting out 3 gallon per minute.
I think the best test is to actually measure the water being applied and adjust watering times accordingly.

Richard

<DIV></DIV><FONT color=#0033ff><A href="http://pineforestgardens.com";>http://pineforestgardens.com</A></FONT></html>