Re: sinking plants

In a message dated 9/4/1998 8:56:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
jopyz@earthlink.net writes:

<< Is there a good way to prevent hostas from sinking too deep?  I made up
 a nice fluffy new bed this spring and it's quite obvious a number
 of the plants have settled in deeper than I expected. Any suggestions
 before I start eliminating the next section of lawn. >>
 Joanne,
I ue the "tennis shoe" method--that is, I prepare the bed and tamp it down by
walking over it as long as my knees will hold out.
But as long as you have good drainage in the bed you prepared, I wouldn't
worry much about the hostas sinking, unless it is quite noticeable. I DO think
it is better to plant hostas with only the crown barely below ground. And dont
worry when you see roots above ground. (Not the feeder roots, but those thick
ones, whatever they are called.)

Clyde Crockett z5 INDY IN <ccredux@aol.com>