Re: sinking plants

In a message dated 98-09-04 22:30:42 EDT, Clyde writes:

<< I DO think
 it is better to plant hostas with only the crown barely below ground. And
 worry when you see roots above ground. (Not the feeder roots, but those thick
 ones, whatever they are called.) >>

Clyde, help me understand what this means..  If you plant only the crown below
ground, won't the roots be below ground also?   Where does the crown start and
end?  If the correct way to plant hostas is to be able to see where the green
of the plant changes to the white part of the root ( I assume this is the
crown) then I have many of my hostas planted to deep.  What problems will this
cause?   And, if the feeder rooots are those fine 'hair' roots, what is the
function of the thick, large roots?