Re: Fw: [Fwd: (no subject)]

CCREDUX@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 9/3/1999 8:21:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
> jlanier@yancey.main.nc.us writes:
> <<  our wonderful little Border Collie, Clia, >>
>  I got a list of canine intelligence off the 'net and border collies are #1.
> Tell us John about them. I understand that they have to be constantly
> challenged and amused. Does yours get into your hostas?

Thanks Clyde, and also for the nematode picture. Curious about what the
treatment of your yard to eliminate nematodes cost. Also, is it a
permantent treatment?

Clia:  Our little dog is now 18 months old, and so beautiful and full of
life. There isn't a mean bone in her. She likes everybody, and everybody
likes her. Our reason for getting her was to, hopefully keep the deer
away from our hostas. This breed was also reported to be "good" at
digging out moles and other varmits, which she does, really, too well.
Her pusuit of moles led to the installation of low (18") electric fences
around the beds that were her favorite hunting grounds. There was
current in the fence for only a few minutes, until she touched the wire
with her nose. Now there is no need for current. She will not cross the
wire, or, in fact, go anywhere near it. As for deer, she gave chase on
two occasions. Once to a doe and two young crossing the valley up the
hill from our yard (about 100 yards away), and once two two bucks about
50' from a hosta bed at the edge of the forrest. When I say "gave chase"
that's really an understatment. I have never seen such speed and noise
from any dog. I have been told by some of the mountain men around here
that deer now will not come near our place because of Clia's presence.
The moles don't do any damage to the hostas if we go along after them
and push any soil back down where they have tunneled through, especially
near miniature, or newly set plants. Once in a while, Clia will bring a
mole to us alive and kicking that she caught in the lawn. This one we
take down to the mail boxes 0.6 miles away and let it loose. When Laura
was teaching 4th grade we took them to the classroom for the children to
observe. I have never seen Clia deliberately directly destroy any part
of a hosta, or any other plant, but I'm convinced she has inadvertently
protected them from deer. Of course when she used to go after the moles,
any hostas that were in the way got dug out. I truly do recommend this
type of dog for anyone with deer problems around hostas. The
companionship they provide is extraordinary. We don't see how we could
live without her. She will retrieve things until we are too tired to
throw them any longer, even rocks that we throw deep into the forrest.
What she really needs is two little boys to play with her, instead of
two old people. She does have a sweet tooth, though! The gala apples are
just getting ripe, and she picks the low hanging ones and eats them. She
also picks low hanging grapes and peaches, and eats them. Such a
wonderful, and useful dog, not only for protecting the hostas, but for
the companionship that only a dog can give.

John Lanier
Burnsville, NC