Thoughts on Fall

Night before........

'Twas a September evening, both clear and cool
    We had finished our yard work, put away every tool.
Hosta "babies" were nestled, all snug in their beds,
    With layers of compost pulled up to their heads.
While I in my straw hat and Dave in his cap
    Settled down in the lawn chairs for a small evening nap.
When out in the yard there arose such a clatter
    Dave sprang from his chair to see what was the matter.
A parade was coming, that was indeed clear.
    There were squirrels and geese and even some deer.
For our Hostas they headed, bringing with them the slugs.
    And cutworms were coming....and more and more bugs.
We grabbed spray cans, and traps, and ammonia, and beer,
    I said where should we put them? Dave said, "OVER HERE"!
And I heard him exclaim as he ran out of sight,
    Thank God, winter's coming!

Bev Stegeman