AHS Robin

OK, enough is enough.  My little post of last night was a poor attempt to show how ridiculous this has all become, and how juvenile everyone is behaving (I suppose I should include myself).  It very easy to forget that there are a few active people on these Robins and a lot of inactive people.  Those who are active tend to forget that there is a larger community.  I know that the AHS rules were created to prevent just such a meltdown as has just occurred, and there was no malicious attempt at a power grab by the "powers to be" and we are not fighting a great battle of human rights here.  However, how it has played out has looked rather ridiculous (hence my late night attempt at making fun of the AHS Robin rules).  Those that have tried to keep the AHS Robin free of disturbing posts, have only made themselves look like a bunch of dictatorial elementary school marms.  They have only added more fuel on the fire.
I am very sorry if there have been inflammatory and abusive posts sent to the Robin committee and AHS officials.  No matter where this debate about the Society's policies goes, it does not need personal attacks, either in the open or in private.  I learned from long years and many debates in science that as soon as the debate gets personal the subject is lost.  It is also true that many people abhor any kind of conflict including debate.  It is clear that the volunteers who are trying to administer the AHS Robin are beginning to feel embattled, and therefore are defensive.  There are aggressive personalities on both sides of the fence, and apparently the adrenaline has been flowing.  At this point we all need to calm down, and remember that this is a social club.  We are supposed to be making friends, not enemies.
I think that part of a solution to all of this would be a more open approach by Jim Wilkins and/or other board members to the Robins on the issues that are causing the rucus in the first place.  I realize that the Robin population is a small segment of the Society as a whole, but it is a very active segment.  I do believe that there are some private agendas (I think that there are also some private agendas held by some Robin members)  that started all this mess about registration of Hosta, and that the policies formulated were poorly thought out. But at this point, dialog is the best solution.  Most of the arguments presented on all the Hosta robins against the formulated AHS policies have gone unanswered.  There has never been any real debate,  and things have deteriorated into bomb throwing.  I am sorry, but it does look like the AHS administration is ignoring the strong dissent occurring on the Robins.  They could attempt to defuse the whole controversy.
Maybe it is also time to rethink the Robins.  I know that to organize them will put us back into the mess we are in presently.  But, I do know that some participating in these Robins are offended by the political bickering going on, and especially the personal level it has come to.  We have ended up with a whole new Robin out of this, Hosta Talk.  I also have noted that the detailed discussions of technical information has left other members cold.  Maybe what is needed is a little segregation of discussions.  Let it all rip on the Hosta Open (it is going to anyway), keep the technical stuff mostly on Nise along with the propagation information,  and let the Hosta Talk people do their own thing.  That, of course, leaves the AHS Robin.  I think this problem will solve itself if we could get some participation of the present AHS administration on Hosta Open.  If the only place we can expect an answer is on the Open, maybe that is where the debate will go.  Most of the major players are members of all the Robins anyway, so nothing is going to be missed.  And, by the way, maybe we could stop all this multiple posting.  Post to the audience that you think would be interested, most who are will be there anyway.  I doubt that there are many members of Nise that are not also members of Open.
Sanity in an insane world is a precious commodity,
Jim Anderson