Re: Thumper

John wrote:
Dan, have you heard anything about a Southern Blight control product
manufactured by Bayer??
--------------------------

John,

I have not heard of a product form Bayer for southern blight. I know
Bayer is on the cutting edge in the commercial pesticide market, so it
would not surprise me to hear they have a new product. (Merit comes to
mind)

I think hostas are pretty tough. The hard part may be getting a label
that list for use on hostas.

I plan on looking more into southern blight control before next year's
season and will post again to the robins.

I have been thinking hard about cleaning up the fruiting bodies after a
hosta goes down to southern blight. I have even considered using a shop
vac to remove the top inch of so of soil to remove these fruiting
bodies. I would need to make sure that they weren't so small that they
would pass right through the filter and be dispersed around the garden.
That would be a bright idea gone wrong. Real wrong. I have read these
sclerotia may persist for up to ten years in the soil waiting for the
right conditions to multiply again. Sanitation is very important for
control. I have also considered some kind of ring around the infected
hosta maybe an inch or so underground and an inch or so above ground and
maybe about the same diameter as the top of a five gallon bucket.

This ring would serve several purposes,
1) It would mark infected hostas for years to come.(for preventive
treatment)
2) It would tend to contain sclerotia (sanitation) in times of heavy
rains.
3) The ring would  retain large doses of applied fungicide where it's
needed.

There I go, that southern blight really gets me going. I hate that
fungi.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7