1) Are second and third flushes of leaf growth on hostas a good or bad

{A very good sign---plant is strong and vigorous.}

2) Does growth late in the season lead to "soft" crown material that may
rot over winter? I have a feeling many people know this is true of woody
ornamental twig growth and assume this is true of herbaceous perennials

{I do not think so. Many of my hostas do this and none show the worse for

3) Referenced to the first expected frost date in the growers/gardeners
area, how late is too late to expect beneficial plant response that

{Right around October 1 in Indianapolis}

4) Any recommendations on N-P-K ratios and timing of applications for
maximum benefit to the growth of hostas? (i.e, low N in the fall, high K
in the fall, high N in the spring, etc.)

{All of the fertilizers I use are high in N, except the first application in
April of a bbalanced granular===12-12-12}

5) Benefits to be expected from foliar fertilizing, side dressing,
proper pH, double digging, mulch, etc.

{Soil should be as acid as possible. I have had good results from foliar
fertilizers. Mulch is important for water retention. Use cypress bark and oak

6) Organic/ chemical fertilizer recommendations. If you are an organic
gardener, what fertilizers do you use?

{ Miracid;Osmocote;Jersey Green Sand;12-12-12;liquid seaweed with Fe; fish
emulsion; Vitamin B-1. I will NEVER use Superphosphate again.

I am seeking antidotal evidence,  theoretical discussion, and experience
gained through growing other plant species.

<<Clyde Crockett z5b>>