Water or Not?

We were away from home for most of the month of August. During that time
(and since) we did not have a drop of rainfall. Though hostas looked great
before we left, by our return they all showed water stress symptoms, some
so severe I think they are starting into dormancy.

I've been watering on my normal schedule since then. My question is, given
that the appearance of these hostas will not improve much this year, what
should I do about the ones that are apparently (I hope) going dormant?

Water? Figuring that even one actively photosynthesizing leaf will aid in
next year's performance? Risking crown rot?

Not water? Allow the worst ones to just go dormant?

Gerry