Re: Examples of harm

> As I pointed out before, I don't really care about this policy one way
> or
> the other.  I am simply trying to understand the rabid feelings against it.
> >From the information I have read about the IAC program, it simply appears
> be strong encouragement to register hostas --- that's it.

O.k., here's my point of view. I'm just a home gardener, so this is what
I think.
  It's not that the AHS is trying to encourage registration that is bad,
in and of itself.  The problem lies in the wording of the IAC program.
That the growers and sellers of hostas are supposed to ensure that the
plants they sell are registered  (they don't have enough to do already,
they have to add this to the list??) and if the plant is not registered,
pay for registering it out of their hard-earned pockets.  If the
growers/sellers decide to ignore the IAC, they can not advertise in the
Hosta Journal, and it will, in turn, affect their business.  This is not
called strong encouragement, it is called Strong Arming, and it is
  Why aren't the hybridizers being given, instead, an INCENTIVE to
register their plants? Why has it been handed to the growers/sellers
with no incentive, just the threat of punishment to their business?
These are only some of the questions that I have.

Diane Frederick
Cleveland Hts., OH z5