Re: Examples of harm

Diane wrote:
  If the
> growers/sellers decide to ignore the IAC, they can not advertise in the
> Hosta Journal, and it will, in turn, affect their business.  This is not
> called strong encouragement, it is called Strong Arming, and it is
> wrong.
>   Why aren't the hybridizers being given, instead, an INCENTIVE to
> register their plants? Why has it been handed to the growers/sellers
> with no incentive, just the threat of punishment to their business?
> These are only some of the questions that I have.
>
> Diane Frederick
> Cleveland Hts., OH z5
Diane
Your point is the most valid one.  It is not being punished ,for selling
unrigesterd hostas, that will get the AHS the most milage, but rather
being rewarded.  Pretty much of what the AHS has instituted, feels like
punishment.  But, whether intended or not, this has also been an attempt
on the part of the AHS to limit what buyers can purchase.  As far as
encouraging registration ( something I am 100% behind) many of the
"problems" were "fixed" in lowering the registration fees, and
simplifying the form. Jim Hawes has pointed this out , but the AHS paid
no attention and procided with overkill!  What is needed now is
eduaction , and not the current frustration!
Thanks
Ran