Re: Ivies

  • Subject: Re: Ivies
  • From: William F Hummel <wfhummel@COMCAST.NET>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:25:01 -0700

Hello Sandy,

I was a founding member of the International Geranium Society and
served on the original Board of Directors, but haven't been active for
over 30 years.  For some reason I my love of geraniums, and ivies in
particular, renewed this spring.  That's probably because a couple of
old plants climbing through a trellis against a seven foot wall in my
back yard have been in full flower for a month or more and have been
providing a spectacular display.  The ivies in that display are Santa
Paula and Nutmeg Lavender, both of which I would rate in the top ten
of the group. =20

Santa Paula is a solid bluish lavender, and Nutmeg Lavender is a
delicate lavender blending to white in the centers of the florets.
Both are semi-doubles, though Santa Paula could almost pass for a
double.  Nutmeg Lavender has a trailing character that makes it
especially fine for baskets or pots.  I have two of them growing in
sixteen inch pots that are overflowing to the base, and completely
covered with compact foliage and bloom.

At one time I had a collection of over 75 ivy cultivars and was able
to provide information that Helen van Pelt Wilson used in her book
"Geraniums" (second edition), published in 1957 and now long out of
print. =20

I'd be interested to know the growing conditions in Grass Valley,
which I suspect is too cold to for geraniums to survive the winter
outdoors.  On the west side of Los Angeles where I live, conditions
are ideal for outdoor displays year around. =20

William