Re: Ivies

Hi William,

What a great response.  I have lived in Grass Valley only one year and is the furtherest (is that a word?) inland have ever.  We built a greenhouse for my plants but wish I had another.  No, they cannot overwinter without protection.  I am hoping to grow the mini and compact ivies and have been told they make nice windowsill plants in winter.  If they do, my goal is to promote both the small ivies and small zonals as windowsill plants in the Sierra foothills.  Many do not even know what exists since there are very few nurseries growing or selling specialty plants.

Would be interested since I cannot see the plants in person of knowing which ivies have burgundy colored flowers and if you have comments on same.

Would love to know about the history of the founding of the society from your perspective.  Do you have any of the original journals?  The reason I ask is that we have the GATW searchable CD project going, and have a needs list of good quality very old journals.  When they are scanned, we need the best we can get.

Sandy

William F Hummel <wfhummel@COMCAST.NET> wrote:
Hello Sandy,

I was a founding member of the International Geranium Society and
served on the original Board of Directors, but haven't been active for
over 30 years. For some reason I my love of geraniums, and ivies in
particular, renewed this spring. That's probably because a couple of
old plants climbing through a trellis against a seven foot wall in my
back yard have been in full flower for a month or more and have been
providing a spectacular display. The ivies in that display are Santa
Paula and Nutmeg Lavender, both of which I would rate in the top ten
of the group. =20

Santa Paula is a solid bluish lavender, and Nutmeg Lavender is a
delicate lavender blending to white in the centers of the florets.
Both are semi-doubles, though Santa Paula could almost pass for a
double. Nutmeg Lavender has a trailing character that makes it
especially fine for baskets or pots. I have two of them growing in
sixteen inch pots that are overflowing to the base, and completely
covered with compact foliage and bloom.

At one time I had a collection of over 75 ivy cultivars and was able
to provide information that Helen van Pelt Wilson used in her book
"Geraniums" (second edition), published in 1957 and now long out of
print. =20

I'd be interested to know the growing conditions in Grass Valley,
which I suspect is too cold to for geraniums to survive the winter
outdoors. On the west side of Los Angeles where I live, conditions
are ideal for outdoor displays year around. =20

William