Erodium manescavi question

I have had  Erodium manescavi in various spots in the garden for three
years.  Some are watered regularly along with the rest of the beds they
are in, others are left to their own devices in an area that isn't
easily reached by hose.  I cut them back after the first flowering to
keep them from flopping on top of their neighbors, don't fertilize other
than a spring compost/mulch.  This year they seem to be dying off, the
ones in the borders faster than the others but all seem to be just
coming apart at the crown.  I've saved some seed so I can start again,
but I would like to know if they are suffering from disease (how to
correct the problem?) or are short lived.
Grateful for any insights,
Diane
Snohomish, WA
usda zone 7