Re: Erodium manescavi question

Diane Soares wrote:
> I have had  Erodium manescavi in various spots in the garden for three
> years.> Snohomish, WA> usda zone 7

Hallo Diane,
E.masescavii was my problem during many years. I have grown them in full
sun in a good humus containing sandy soil, where it after rich flowering
vanished in August. In the rock garden in scree conditions I got the
same result: disappearance after flowering in August. The rootstocks
that I dug up were completely rotten, but there was no sign of pest or
animal caused damage.
This problem was discussed in 1995 in some issues of the Group News of
the Geraniaceae Group,
see http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/3139/

The conclusion was then that E.manescavii being a meadowland plant does
not like to be dry during flowering.
My own experience is that E.manescavii lives longer if it is watered
during flowering period. However after say 3 or 4 years many plants with
a fleshy central rootstock will give up. So it is necessary to renew
them from time to time and with E.manescavii it is easy from seed.
Success with yours,
Rein ten Klooster
The Netherlands