Re: O.T. - monitoring computer use

  • Subject: Re: O.T. - monitoring computer use
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:35:02 -0600

Carolyn:
   You may not agree with me, but  speaking from my general experience with
two boys:  if yours is 14 and is slavering over these websites etc. (as I
did at that age with  illustrations in an encyclopedia - now laughable)
it's pretty late to hope you can "protect" his innocence from the world of
sleaze.  Give him back the keyboard and mouse, tell him the stuff he
watches disgusts and embarrasses you and you're deleting anything that
arrives in your mailbox, then let him do what he wants in private.  If he's
anywhere near a normal personality he'll eventually get bored with it all
and may suffer a reverse reaction, like someone who has gorged on cake to
the point of illness.

The important thing is to keep the lines of communication open and not
make him feel powerless to decide for himself.  It takes a lot of patience
and forbearance, I know.  Just be totally honest about your own reactions.
Kids respect that.

Maria