Garden News: Text of geranium websites review

Here's the text of the review of geranium websites, by the Garden News Gardening Editor Geoff Hiodge, which appeared in their August 4 issue:

Last time we looked at websites on fuchsias, so I thought this week we should spotlight geraniums - some of the sites for these overlap, anyway, as several societies are joint ones for both.

Both of the national societies - the British and European Geranium Society and the British Pelargonium and Geranium Society - have websites.

The BEGS site is at www.fitzjohn.linkuk.co.uk and has plenty of information to keep the keen pelargonium/geranium grower happy. There's obviously information on the society, links to other sites (always useful and saves you time and money going through a search engine), information on relevant shows, nurseries, pests and diseases, and information on varieties, including some nice pictures.

The BPGS site - www.bpgs.org.uk - is similar, with details of the society, shows, nurseries and links to other sites but it doesn't have any pictures.

But the great thing about the internet is that you can easily find out what's going on in other countries.

For instance, www.swissfarms.com is the site of United Swiss Farms - a commercial nursery in California, USA. And if you can order 500 or more plants of any one variety, you'll be able to buy them at a very reasonable price! The company also sells what it calls patio trees - which, in fact, turn out to be standards - but it's interesting getting an insight into how other countries talk about their plants.

Katie's Geraniums is another Californian nursery whose address is www.katiesscenteds.com but this time the plants are available singly to gardeners; prices start around $3.

In Australia, geraniums and pelargoniums are also very popular and Alby's page is very interesting. It opens with a g'day from Alby, who seems a very bonza guy! You can find his geranium website at www.users.bigpond.com/SCRIVENS. There is a comprehensive list of species and some lovely pictures.

Local garden societies are also getting in on the Internet act. David Taylor contacted me about his local geranium society - the Reading and District Geranium Society. This holds information on the group but also boasts a gallery page of varieties. You can find it at www.geraniums.demon.co.uk.

If you live in the Coventry area, then log on to www.cfs.freeserve.co.uk for information on the Coventry & District Fuchsia & Geranium Society.

For a full list of major fuchsia shows around the country, go to: www.freespace.virgin.net/perry.metcalf/gb where you'll find all you need to know.

Graham Rice
Northamptonshire, UK