Re: Please help! Sick plant in need of advice!!

I've just added a well-grown heavily variegated zonal to my collection.  When
I got it three weeks ago, it looked great and filled a 10 inch pot to
overflowing.  Now, the leaves are all chewed up, with little and large holes
like lacework on the individual leaves, and the leaves are drying up and
turning brown and falling off.  I don't see any pests on the plant whatsoever
--  no caterpillars, bugs, etc.  Also no evidence of an infestation such as
droppings, webs, bug-sized candywrappers etc.

I've tried picking off the damaged leaves and washing the plant with a mild
soapy water.  No luck.  It's now (10 days later) to the point where every
leaf on the plant is badly damaged and if I pluck them off, there will be
nothing left but stems.

I've tried an all purpose insecticide, no luck.

The damage appears to be contained to the leaves themselves, not the stems.
No new growth showing.  I've had the plant in full sun, partial sun, and
dappled shade with no apparent effect on the damage.  I'm watering lightly
but regularly with a very weak fertilizer/water solution trying to boost the
plant's health.  No results yet.

I've tried relocating the pot and putting it into a closed environment
thinking it might be an outside influence type of pest, but if it is, it's
mobile.

Any suggestions?

Cindi