Re: [IGSROBIN] P. ionidiflorum

----------
> From: Andrew <awilson@FDA.NET>
> To: IGSROBIN@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU
> Subject: Re: P. ionidiflorum
> Date: Tuesday, 15 December 1998 17:15
>
> Alby and Mimi,
>
> Well, I'm glad to hear other people have had similar experiences with
this
> Pel. So much for the summer-growing label given to it in all the books!
> Alby, What crosses were made to give Robiniflorum and Edwards Avenall?
Dare
> I ask who 'Robin' was? Do you know if they have made it over here yet?
Andrew,
Unfortunately both hybrids were found in the garden.   The originator of
Robiniflorum had a very mixed collection of both Pelargonium and Geranium
species and cultivars growing in open conditions so she had hybrid swarms
all over her property.  I do not know the background to the name selection
but I suspect that it has no particular associations.  It is similar in
growth to ionidiflorum but a deeper colored flower and rather more
vigorous.
Edwards Avenall was found in Marjorie Edwards garden.    Not quite as
robust as Robiniflorum and the flowers are smaller, the upper 2 petals are
'normal' rather than the odd shape of Robiniflorum and flower color is a
paler  pink.
I have not heard of either being available outside of Australia but you
know how these plants seem to bob up from time to time and there would be
no difficulty in sending cuttings to a country without the same difficult
importing conditions that we suffer here.   Mind you I appreciate that as a
result of those conditions we do not suffer from some of the nasties that
are about elsewhere.
Regards
Alby
Geraniaceae is all around the World