Re: Identifying Geranium

< This message is from R Reidy, via the IGS Robin Manager>

Hi Harold!  I wouldn't touch the identification bit with a ten foot pole
when it comes to zonals, but I do want to pass on something about growing
under lights.

I have used an old classic Floralite cart (don't think they've made them
for years) for over 20 years now.  The cart has four shelves, each 48" x
20," each of which is lit with two 48" 40-watt fluorescents.  I've always
used cool-white bulbs which have given excellent results, although I know
others with similar set-ups who prefer a combination of one warm/one
cool.  I generally keep the lights three or four inches from the tops of
the foliage (adjusting to the highest foliage--you have to sort of work
things around here). The lights are used for everything from starting seed
to overwintering ancient and valuable plants (and not only Geraniaceae).
Growing under lights is an experimenter's dream, of course, but as much as
I loathe giving advice, even indirectly, I do in this case want to mention
that in my experience the "grow lights" sold at exorbitant prices with
extravagant claims are simply not worth it.  When I mentioned this on
another Forum I belong to, I was gratified to see how many others who use
lights corraborated this observation.

Good luck.

Richard Riedy
Los Lunas, New Mexico (15F the other night. Snow tomorrow?)