Dwarfs & Miniatures

Hi Sandy - Its great to 'meet' someone else interested in these lovely
little plants.  I live in Surrey and our winters have been very mild
recently, but I always bubblewrap my greenhouse each winter.  Special
plastic fixings can be bought which lock into the gap in the frame of
aluminium greenhouses, the bubble wrap is pushed on and secured with a small
flat disk.  These keep the bubble wrap at the correct distance from the
glass.  However, it is all very tiring and time consuming to do, so this
year I have run a wire along the top of the greenhouse and also along the
top of the sides.  I have then draped the bubblewrap over the wire and let
it hand down the sides of the greenhouse. Have used a few of the fixings
just to keep it looking neat.  The ends I have used the usual fixings.  My
heater is very basic - a 'small space' heater merely designed the keep out
frost. No regulator at all and I only light it when heavy frosts of less
than -2 are forecast.  It is not kept on all day, unless the temperature is
very low, and the greenhouse door is opened slightly each day to allow the
air to circulate, sometimes for only half an hour. Have not had any problems
with fumes.  My 'specials' I do overwinter indoors, or in the conservatory,
but the ones in the greenhouse seem to cope.  Hope this will help.
Kind regards

Gwen Ward - briangwen@hullbrook.freeserve.co.uk