Re: 'Vancouver Centennial'

When someone asks a question about the history of a plant, it niggles at me
until I can remember whatever I've heard on the topic.  I had vaguely
recalled that Gerald D. Stewart of New Leaf Nurseries was the person who
brought 'Vancouver Centennial' into Southern California, so I called Jerry
and asked him about it.

To the best of his recollection, it is a cross between Medallion (sp?) and
Bird Dancer, hybridized by Ian Gillam.  Jerry obtained the plant while
attending the 1986 conference held in Vancouver.  'Vancouver Centennial',
'Mrs. Pat', and 'Golden Ears' are all seed siblings.  Jerry obtained
'Vancouver Centennial' from Jean Hausermann and her sister.  He'd been
admiring the plant at the conference and tried and tried to get one, to no
avail.  Just as he was leaving, they ran across the parking lot to catch up
with his van with a plant for him to take back to CA.

Cynthia Pardoe is quite right that 'Vancouver Centennial' has been written up
in several different articles in the Geraniums Around the World, and they
contain more detailed information, which would probably be of interest to
you.   As the San Diego Geranium Society Librarian, she would probably be the
best person to help you find them.

Cynthia Lohry