Pelargonium fragrans

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Pelargonium fragrans
  • From: Ed Olson Moore <H20wrx@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:16:55 EST

From what I've read, scientists are unsure whether P.fragrans is a true
species or not. According to Diana Miller's book (Pelargoniums, a Gardener's
Guide..), it has not been found in the wild , and does not readily set seed.
According to The Pelargonium Family, by William Webb, the species is found in
the Karoo Highlands. Does anyone know who is right? Are there populations of
P.fragrans growing wild in South Africa? Could it's habitat have been so
restricted that it was destroyed?

 I HAD  a specimen of P. odoratissimum ('Apple') that would not set seed,
even with hand pollination. I'm working with my P. fragrans now, and seem to
be having better luck than with my 'Apple'. I'm at 23 days post pollination
and have good seed development on 4 out of 5 self crosses. I'm going to be
attempting more crosses - to see if it was a fluke. I would love to hear from
anyone who has attempted selfing this plant, and your results.

Does anyone know what other species are difficult to self ?

Ed

Ed Olson-Moore
h20wrx@aol.com