Re: Pelargonium fragrans

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Pelargonium fragrans
  • From: Ed Olson Moore <H20wrx@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:01:03 EST

Two additional points:
I currently have a P. odoratissimum 'Somerset East' that sets seed
prolifically. Unless I'm attempting crosses with other species, I have had to
cut off any developing pods.

The crosses of P. fragrans mentioned in previous e-mail were obviously hand
crosses. The plant also currently has 5 wild crosses. This plant has been in
bloom for 11/2 -2 months and this is the first time I've seen it set seed
naturally. I've also recently noticed some tiny ants that seem to be
attracted to the flowers. Maybe they are my pollinators?! I'm posting a "tiny
ants welcome "sign. Compared to the number of blooms I've seen, this plant
definitely has a poor seed set.