Re: [IGS] Hardy Geraniums

Dear Diana Pederson:

Thank you for your inquiry about hardy geraniums.  I charge $6.00 for a
one-gallon size plant.  There are a number of hardy geraniums that will
do well in zone 5.  They will grow happily in the open ground, and
unlike their more delicate cousins, the pelargoniums,  do not need a
cold frame or a basement. Cast iron plants include Geranium macrorrhizum
(with leaves that smell of pine or balsam) and G. phaeum (The Mourning
Widow), both of which are hardy outside to Zone 2/3.  Have a look at the
list on under the Sections
"Ground Covers" and "Shade". It is usually best to acclimatize new
plants from a different climate over a whole growing season, so we
usually recommend that gardeners plant these outside after the last
frost date for their area and then the plants can grow an entire season,
before facing their first winter.

If you are growing in containers, rather than the garden, it is probably
best to plunge the container in a cold frame, since temperature
fluctuations are much greater for plants grown in this fashion.

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Geraniaceae Nursery