Re: [IGS] Hardy tuberous geraniums

Dear Diane Soares:

Thanks so much for the information on the tuberous hardy geraniums. I
have been told that G. sessiliflorum 'Nigricans' is impossible to keep
alive over winter in Zone 7 on the East Coast as well. But I have been
told that it does seed around, and that seedlings will often come up the
following year.  The only problem is that there is some variation in
leaf color, and only the darkest forms should be retained. The IGS Seed
Exchange sometimes has seed if you want to try it one more time.

I don't know what is happening with G. clarkei 'Kashmir White' and
'Kashmir Purple'. They do like at least morning sun and  good drainage.
Sometimes when plants don't thrive, I try a different nursery source.
Perhaps there is some viral or bacterial problem which makes the plant
weak, and it never seems to do well, no matter what you do. The only
problem with G. clarkei that I have heard about is that it dislikes
high, dry summer heat.

Thanks again for the help.

Geraniaceae Nursery