Re: [IGSROBIN] Rowdy SAn Diego Pels

No, I'm not double potting. For one thing it would sure increase the amount
of bench space and, like anyone else, I am limited there. Some of the pels
are not small plants and double potting would be a job. I think the dry
winds together with the open and windy position makes it more difficult. But
the plants look clean and flower well in that location.

The other reason I am finding frequent watering necessary may be that I am
using a potting mix that is somewhat sparse. These plants will certainly
never get overwatered, I can tell you. Pumice, sand, perlite and loam is the
diet. Lean and mean. I'm doing it mostly for the benefit of the
winter-flowering species, not because I want to see them suffer.

Your idea of the rocks is good. Actually, I am trying it and it does help.
Also, small rocks slow evaporation. Last years El Nino storms washed lots of
them on the beaches and they do well for this job. Another tactic I am using
is to grow a few scrambling types to help keep them slightly bound together
and I also intersperse a few growing in wide but shallow containers (like P.
reliquifolium). Also, I have taken to using ceramic clay pots rather than
plastic ones except for the young plants just because they are heavier. Any
comments on that ? - I see you use them too.

So, you are busy fertilizing the angels. Is this a bit early for them? Does
it make their voices sweeter? If so, is the fertilizer low on nitrogen?

San Diego, California