Re: [IGSROBIN] summer is not here yet in San Diego

Andrew,

I used to think the empty beer bottles in the lower garden were tossed there
by thoughtless neighbors during their parties.  Now I'm beginning to wonder
about just who, exactly, is partying back there.  And the radio was tuned to
a different station the other day, too.  Maybe its not the snails that have
been emptying the saucers of beer.  Hmm ...

I've got several flats of freshly transplanted zonals, and they seem to be
doing fine.  I'm going to have to pinch them back today so they fill out a
bit.  I didn't want to pinch them back before until I knew they had acclimated
to the new pots.

I'm also going to pull all the frost damaged plants out of the garden.  I lost
all the marigolds in the front but the pinks are doing fine.  I was concerned
about the succulents, but they seem to be ok as well.  Was out nursery hopping
yesterday and bought an assortment of miniature iris and some tri-color
succulents to fill in here and there.

We also saw a sanguineum that was purported to be the world's smallest
geranium.  It was labelled as Pelargonium sanguineum 'Miniatura' but I'm not
sure if that's a cultivar name or a marketing technique used by the nursery.
They also had P sidoides, but it was actually P sidoides x reniforme
'Burgundy' not the true sidoides.  I'm going to stop by Walter Andersons
Nursery this morning to see if they have 'crysanthum' as I want to get both
male and female so that there will be seeds.  I really love the soft green
foliage and the buttercup yellow flowers and would like to have lots of it.

Cindi
hedgehug@aol.com