Re: [IGSROBIN] [Fat-Plants] Question: Planting dormant fat-plants

Hello Diana,

I have seedlings of the monsonia's available at the IGS seed center.

11 batches of monsonia seed from 6 sources where potted using a standard
peat based potting mix and I kept it very wet during two weeks. I had
germination of 10 batches with a result of 50% (25 of 50 seeds) in two

The tested species include emarginata, angustifolia and brevirostrata. Two
batches did not contain the specified monsonia. One batch angustofilia
proved to be brevirostrata (from IGS !) and one batch emarginata proved to
be angustifolia.

Some characteristics of these species :

The beak of brevirostrata is short (20 mm) compared to the beak of
emarginata (45 mm) and angustifolia (60 mm). The leave of angustifolia is
about 5 time as long as wide. The leave of emarginata and brevirostrata are

Brevirostrata is very frequently visited by lice. I did not know before
these insects liked geraniaceae.